Using your spray tan machine to apply an even tan is just the first of many important steps!
They may seem obvious, but with these tips, your salon or mobile business can become one of the best spray tanning businesses around.
Most tanning technicians are well versed in the application process but there are always new tips and tricks to learn.
ACHIEVING THE BEST RESULTS
The key to a successful spray tan business is not only delivering premium tanning results, but also providing a pleasant tanning experience. This all begins with your client. After all, your client can get a tan anywhere, it’s the point of difference in the salon service experience that keeps them coming back.
Here are some techniques and tips we have drawn from our favourite tan supplier, Minetan. These tips will help you become a true tanning pro and make your client a client for life!
PREPARING YOUR CLIENT FOR THEIR APPOINTMENT
Prepare the client for their spray tanning experience with your salon.
Upon taking the booking, mention to your clients that preparation is key to the perfect spray tan and run through your own before and after check list with your client. See our before and after suggestions below.
BEFORE THE TAN
- Exfoliate and moisturise 24 hours before tanning treatment, paying attention to elbows, knees, ankles and problem dry areas.
- Paint nails and toenails, especially if artificial.
- Wax/shave at least 48 hours prior to treatment. This allows the pores time to close.
- Avoid using bar soaps, high pH shower products or in shower moisturisers 24 hours prior to tan application
- Avoid applying moisturiser, perfume, deodorant or makeup on the day
- If the skin is dry, use a suitable Primer to balance pH levels in the skin and blending cream to block our unwanted tanning areas.
AFTER THE TAN
- Wear dark loose clothing as tight clothing or underwear may cause marks.
- Wear Thongs or loose-fitting shoes.
- For a light to medium tanning effect, a light shower in cold to luke-warm water for 30 seconds ONLY is ideal. If the water is too hot this will cause deactivation of the DHA and the tan will stop processing.
- Use plain water to clean post tan. Shower gels, scrubs, shampoos or a loofer during the first 24 hours after a spray tan is not recommended.
- To dry skin post shower, pat skin dry with a soft towel.
- Avoid sweating for the first 24 hours after your spray tan treatment. Avoid exercise or swimming if possible.
- Moisturise, moisturise and moisturise some more with a light moisturiser.
On a side note: Long exposure to water and sweating from exercise will fade your spray tan. Your outer cells will start to soak up water which dilutes the effect of the tan. The longer you are in water the lighter your tan will get.
Added Tip: This is also a great way to push your retail products. Add suggested products to your pre and post checklists!